Exam Board – OCR
Qualification – A Level
Entry requirements – 5 x GCSEs at A*-C or grades 9-4, including a grade 4 in English, a grade 4 in Maths and two grade 5s in Science
Emphasis throughout this course is on developing knowledge, competence and confidence in practical skills and problem solving. You will learn how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
This is an interesting and challenging experience to link key chemical ideas and understand how they relate to each other. You will develop transferable skills including investigation, problem solving, research, decision making, mathematical skills and analytical skills.
A Level Chemistry opens up a range of possibilities for further study and careers associated with the subject.
- atoms, compounds, molecules and equations
- enthalpy, entropy and free energy
- amount of substance redox and electrode potentials
- acid–base and redox reactions
- transition elements
- electrons, bonding and structure
- organic chemistry
- the periodic table and periodicity
- group 2 and the halogens’ organic synthesis
- reaction rates and equilibrium analytical techniques (IR and MS)
- pH and buffers
- chromatography and spectroscopy (NMR)
Students are examined by:
- written assessment
- practical work