Hair and beauty
Qualification type: VTCT Level 2 (VRQ)
Exam board: VTCT
Course code: AM20530
Contact: Mr Tomkins – firstname.lastname@example.org
This qualification has been developed for students with an interest in hairdressing and/or beauty therapy. It aims to support young people to:
• develop a broad understanding of the hair and beauty sector
• develop significant knowledge, which spans the entire vocational sector and related industries
• develop academic and study skills, that will support progression within the hair and beauty sector and, more broadly, across a range of sectors
What will be studied?
Students will gain an understanding of the hair and beauty sector and undertake a research project. They will also have the opportunity to study business enterprise, marketing and promotions in hair and beauty, to look at the science of hair and beauty and to respond to a hair and beauty design brief. As well as developing knowledge and skills in research, science, business, marketing and design, learners will also develop skills, which will support them with their further study, including:
• Critical thinking and reflecting on self-performance and work produced
• Use of initiative, planning and research skills, self management, self-motivation and the ability to work independently
• Innovation and creativity
• Application of knowledge and understanding to real-life examples and businesses
• Problem solving
• Communication skills – verbal, written and visual
Why study hair and beauty?
On completion, students will gain the skills and knowledge required to progress to hair and beauty apprenticeships, or onto vocational qualifications in this subject area, or other further education or university. In addition, there is also a level 4 qualification diploma in management, practice and advanced techniques in the hair and beauty sector.
Oral examination, coursework, e-assessment, multiple choice examination, portfolio of evidence, practical demonstration/assignment, practical examination, taskbased controlled assessment and written examination.